Selling a Montana Vehicle
If you sell your Montana-titled vehicle, follow this step-by-step to make the process easy
If there is a lien on the vehicle, it must be released prior to sale in one of two ways:
- The lender can use a signature stamp in the "Security Interest" box that states a release of interest in the
- The lender can issue a separate statement on their letterhead stating a release of interest in the vehicle.
On the front side only of the Montana title:
- Fill-in the purchaser's name and address.
- Fill-in the mileage disclosure and release of interest.
- Sign as seller exactly as the title was issued (for example: RV Fun, LLC by John Doe, member)
- Have a notary public notarize the mileage disclosure and release of interest.
- Have the purchaser sign, date and print name.
Give the purchaser the following items:
- The title signed over to them.
- Any separate lien-release documents.
- A copy of your LLC Articles of Organization.
DO NOT fill-in anything on the back unless the purchaser will be registering the vehicle in Montana. Click here for instructions on re-registering a Montana vehicle in
Montana with a new owner.
DO NOT make any alterations or use correction fluid anywhere on the title.